[QGIS-Developer] Vote for Lat Lon Tools Default Coordinate Order - YX or XY

Syd Visser sydv at sjgeophysics.com
Mon Nov 23 12:10:44 PST 2020

In the 1970 to early 1980 when I started working with computers almost
everything was N E and Lon Lat. Z was also positive down and azimuth
positive from North to East (good old right hand rule) since most of the
work was for drilling or mine workings this worked fine.

If you look back at grass3 or 4 it was mostly N E. But somewhere in the
1990 almost everything changed to E N and Lat Lon and Z up and by grass6
I think everything was converted. I am not sure why this happened or
what the reasoning was maybe because some GIS people started realizing
the earth was not flat. All of this was fine except that the Azimuth did
not change so the real problem now is that the azimuth is still positive
from North to East. So personally to get things right instead of left I
think the Azimuth should now change to being positive from East to North
or at least North to West. Good luck with that.

Syd

*Syd (Sipke) Visser, P.Geo.*
President, Snr. Geophysicist/Geologist

Tel: 1 (604) 582-1100