[QGIS-Developer] Developer Best Practice Suggestions

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Oct 28 07:02:49 PDT 2020

On 10/28/20 2:33 PM, C Hamilton wrote:
> I tried submitting my first QGIS core code submission. See
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/39655
>
> As I was doing the pull request I found out that there were some scripts that should have been run to check the coding style. Unfortunately, those scripts are .sh scripts and I chose to develop on Windows using Visual Studio and as far as I know there isn't a way to run the scripts.
>
> I am on windows, but would I be better off to use something like virtualbox and create a virtual linux development environment? I'm not as good with linux because I haven't used it for over 10 years.
>
> Is there still a way for me to use the Windows development environment, yet make sure I'm able to run all the required scripts to do the checks?
>
> How have you set up your QGIS development environment?
>
> My code submission got a red flag with indentation so before I do anything more I really need to figure out the best workflow for doing development.

Hi Calvin,

Disclaimer: I'm a Debian guy, and if I do cpp work, I mostly use the 'average' workflow: develop/compile/debug in QtCreator

Here is a lot of best practices:
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/developers_guide/

Your current main issue (now) is indentation, see

https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/developers_guide/codingstandards.html#indentation
That is indeed: run the script 'scripts/prepare-commit.sh'

I would say, that IF you can make that script work on Windows (in one of those fancy 'Windows Subsystem for Linux' or so),
AND you are comfortable with what you have now, I would say: "stick to your plan".
In my experience coding can be done by just coding/compiling and running that script :-)
Sometimes running the tests may be a problem?

Others?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

PS but off course you are also invited to join the beautiful world called Debian Linux ;-)