[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Debug build fails to launch in QtCreator

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Sep 4 02:30:34 PDT 2020

Hi

Thanks for the fix Nyall. Ok cool, thanks for the fix! Now I can run in non
debug mode. In debug mode I get a bunch of these popping up:

The inferior stopped because it received a signal from the operating system.

Signal name :

SIG33

Signal meaning :

Real-time event 33

The execution pointer is just pointing at some disassembled code like:

0x7fffeaf9e376  <+  534>        48 3d 00 f0 ff ff           cmp
 $0xfffffffffffff000,%rax

Which looks like it is a futex wait cancel something or other. If I click
OK then continue the debugger a bunch of times, eventually QGIS starts up.
Any idea how to make it move smoothly past those? I have disabled all
plugins and I still get the issue.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 12:45 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 at 09:43, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry my second message on this thread was probably a red herring - if I
> run as sudo QGIS starts fine....
>
> Grab this fix: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/38593
>
> Nyall
>

> > Regards
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 11:48 PM Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> By the way poking around with it a bit more it seems to be crashing on
> this line @Nyal:
> >>
> >> 39fbc2ac331 src/core/qgsproject.cpp (Nyall Dawson
>  2020-08-31 10:30:20 +1000)   mMainAnnotationLayer->setTransformContext(
> context );
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Tim

> QGIS executable from QtCreator, I can see the application starting up but
> then after a short time it crashes out. This happens both when I press the
> green 'Run' triangle icon and when I press the green 'Start Debugging of
> Target Project' triangle icon.

> without CCache and I have CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE set to Debug.

> following (full log of messages here [1]).

> 2020-09-03T21:21:45 [1] Successfully loaded globalsettingsfile path:
> /home/timlinux/dev/cpp/QGIS-Debug-Build/output/data/resources/qgis_global_settings.ini
> /home/timlinux/dev/cpp/QGIS-Debug-Build/output/data/resources/cpt-city-qgis-min/grass/elevation.svg
> loaded=0
> matches the uid of the target
> try
> /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf

> StackOverflow post[2] which seems to address the same issue. However, even
> after trying all the various hints listed there, I still have the crash
> whenever I try to launch QGIS in debug mode, or outside of a debugger.

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22120711/qt-creator-ptrace-operation-not-permitted-what-is-the-permanent-solution/30486572

> >> --

> >> Tim Sutton
> >> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
> >>  * Desktop GIS programming services
> >>  * Geospatial web development
> >> * GIS Training
> >> * Consulting Services
> >> Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
> >> Tim is a member of the QGIS Project Steering Committee

> >> Kartoza is a merger between Linfiniti and Afrispatial
> >

> > --

> > Tim Sutton
> > Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
> >  * Desktop GIS programming services
> >  * Geospatial web development
> > * GIS Training
> > * Consulting Services
> > Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net
> > Tim is a member of the QGIS Project Steering Committee

​

Tim Sutton
Skype: timlinux Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net