[QGIS-Developer] Coordinates of a pixel

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Sat Sep 5 03:14:46 PDT 2020

Glad to hear you found a solution. In general, I usually favour the
approach of developing a solution which works in a local coordinate system
and projecting after the fact. It's usually a lot simpler and allows me to
leave the "rocket science" to the rocket scientists...

One caveat you should be aware of though is that calculating positions on
systems that are not cylindrical (e.g. a conical projection like albers
ea), working at very high latitudes (where cylindrical projections probably
aren't suitable anyway) or using images that have some sort of rotation
applied etc may make things considerably more complex and even totally
break your localised implementation (depending on how intelligent the
solution is). I usually try to build things that are dynamic by somehow
binding units/ CRS to the current map frame or similar logic, but in an
instance like this it's probably better to have a hard-coded
"all-or-nothing" solution.

There may also be other situations where things get a bit fuzzy, but I
think as long as you're using UTM and images aren't rotated you should be
OK (just be aware of these limitations if you plan on implementing this for
users in other regions).

Regards