[QGIS-Developer] QGIS, DateTime and TimeZones

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Sep 8 06:40:24 PDT 2020

Hi Devs,

I was hitting some timezone issues when I received some csv data in which there are timestamps like:
"2020-07-25 20:21:38 UTC"
Apparently if you read this into QGIS, the UTC IS interpreted, and you get a DateTime in your data which is (in my case) -2 hours(CET) off (well in some parts of QGIS)

This plays havoc if you for example are going to use this data in the timecontroller or expressions, see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/38647

So I think that now the TimeController is part of QGIS, and people will start to play with Time-based data more and more (from TimeZone aware datasets like csv and postgres) we will run into issues like above.

Is there something we can do to make QGIS timezone aware?
OR should we stay far away from it (timezones are hell)...
OR should we wait with it after QGIS 4

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde