[QGIS-Developer] Heads up on GEOS Overlay New Generation

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 02:52:56 PDT 2020

Hi

Le jeu. 17 sept. 2020 à 11:31, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> a
écrit :

> Hi Régis,
>
> Indeed interesting.
>
> Is there evidence that it will also be faster than previous versions? If
> yes - for certain operations or generally faster?

Well not yet, and this will depend a lot on the type of features, vertex
density and so on. I we trust some unit tests, and compare with ESRI on big
datasets (France 4G antennas intersect with municipalities), we could
expect something between twice and four times faster. That's a hope a that
point not a measured fact.

> We had issues in the past with the "Geometry checks" that you could define
> on a layer (Layer Properties --> Digitizing settings) - tests about
> overlays and gaps. It was always slow and not so reliable. Once you tried
> to fix one error you would get even more errors through the fix and then
> you would end up with even more errors when trying to fix the error ...
> Hopefully, this will work better then ...

I think this should help indeep.
Bye