[QGIS-Developer] Heads-up: PyQt6 removes pyrcc

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Sep 24 00:29:25 PDT 2020

Hi Nyall and python devs,

I had to lookup what pyrcc was doing, because apparently I did not use it anymore...

I think this is the most clear:
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/pyqtdeploy/pyrcc.html

It is/was a way to bundle several resources (images etc) into ONE (in our case python) file.

According to the "discussion on the PyQt list", there is actually not so much benefit for python (for C++ it is) and it is just easier to load images itself in a python way (and create QIcons with the image directly instead of using a 'resource path'), see link above about how.

Thanks Nyall for looking into the future :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

PS I create a Feature Request in Plugin Builder plugin to remove pyrcc in future, as in my experience a lot of people start of their first plugin with the Plugin Builder, and it is/was actually using pyrcc.