[QGIS-Developer] plugin metatada from zip

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 00:28:05 PDT 2021

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 8:59 AM matteo <matteo.ghetta at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> it seems to me that the qgisMinimumVersion in the metadata.txt file is
> NOT taken into account when the plugin is delivered with a zip file.
>
> I've developed a Processing Plugin and set the minimum version to 3.16
> but I'm able to install it (through the zip file installation) in a 3.10
> QGIS.
>
> Is the qgisMinimumVersion taken into account only when installing a
> plugin with the "standard" installer?

IIRC the version bits are only used for filtering compatible plugins
when parsing the XML response from the plugin repositories.

When you install from a zip you skip all that logic and go straight to
installation (IIRC there was a warning or something about security, we
might hook into that part to add some more warnings).

But it's been a while since I looked at that code so I might be wrong.

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net
ItOpen:   www.itopen.it