[QGIS-Developer] A plea: more volunteers needed for reviewing backports

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Apr 9 02:09:50 PDT 2021

Hi,

Thanks for the continued effort in reviewing. It's one of the
not-so-visible-highly-technically-and-socially-qualified-people-needed-but-very-important
aspects of (open source) software development.

I try to go over the PR queue every now and then and merge/comment/review
what's possible, but these days I find less time than in the past. While at
the same time it seems pull request activity increases it seems.
I'll make sure we raise this topic at an upcoming OPENGIS.ch meeting and
encourage people to participate.

Additionally to what has been said already, backports are easy to forget /
ignore by the original author because they have been opened by a bot and as
an author you won't receive notifications by reviewers or the stale bot. I
wonder if we could get the original author more involved if we'd mention
them in the backport comment and increase their responsibility for this
part. This might be worth some automation.

Something else is that for example for me, the process to decide which
backports get into pending backports was not obvious at first (only the LTR
or also LR? At which stage of the LTR? How exactly do they get in there?),
I'm sure for other people there are other parts of the process that are not
immediately clear. I think documenting the review process could help here
(the suggestions written by Nyall above for a lower entry barrier into the
reviewer process would already be worth mentioning).

I hope I'll find more time again for reviews myself in the future.
I actually enjoyed it a lot in the past; it has influenced my development a
lot over the years as it allowed me to discuss concepts and approaches with
experts from all over the globe, more than I had the chance before in the
SMB offices I have been employed before.

Matthias