[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Date, Time and Time Zones

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:09:15 PDT 2021

Last year there was a discussion on date, time, and timezones in QGIS. Back
then the discussion was that QGIS uses the QDateTime object which supports
timezones, but QGIS does not expose timezones anywhere. This I understand
because time zones are the ultimate pain.

I recently released a "Date/Time Tools" plugin (
https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/datetimetools/) to start providing some
date/time/time zone conversions and support. I was thinking of
providing additional processing algorithms that would create a QDateTime
field with the timezone set, but the question I have is whether a vector
layer were saved to something like a GPKG would the timezone even be
preserved? It wouldn't be preserved with a ShapeFile. If timezones are not
preserved then the only way to provide a date, time, timezone would be as
an ISO8601 string (2007-01-14T21:05:02Z or 2007-01-14T06:55:53-0800).

Is there currently any work going on for time zone support in QGIS that I
am unaware of?

Thanks,

Calvin