[QGIS-Developer] Grant report: Integrate GPS Tools plugin functionality into core QGIS

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 16:56:49 PDT 2021

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 06:13, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> Supercool!!!
>
> I thought to try to walk around (literally) a little (after it took me some time to find out how to connect a bluetooth GPS dongle....).
>
> Some findings:

Ahh, there's a little misunderstanding here. The "GPS Info" panel is a
different beast to the (now removed) GPS tools plugin, and hasn't been
touched by the grant work. To clarify:

- GPS Information panel: this is the live/interactive view of a GPS
connection, and is responsible for showing the current position on the
GPS and tracking it. It's been relatively well maintained over the
years, and while it could do with some UI modernization the code
behind it is all quite stable and mature.
- (old) GPS tools plugin: this plugin had tools for "non-realtime" GPS
conversions. E.g. a GPS track recorded on a device, which you then
pull into QGIS at a later stage. These are the tools targeted by this
grant.

Hope that helps clear up the situation!

Nyall