[QGIS-Developer] FFT convolution plugin help

salvador bara salva.bara at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 08:57:53 PST 2021

    I'm new to the list, and I apologize in advance if this is not the
proper place for this post. In that case any pointer about where to send
this request would be highly appreciated.

    I am working at Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, in mathematical
methods for light pollution research. Some people asked us for an easy way
to create light pollution maps using QGIS. These maps can be easily
produced by 2-D FFT convolution of georeferenced nighttime satellite image
rasters, using kernels of ~1Mpixel size defined by arbitrary functions
(that is, not just Gaussian ; ) ). We routinely do so using Matlab, and we
have checked that it can also be done using the QGIS menu after a rather
lengthy set of inividual operations based on the i.fft and i.ifft grass
routines. We are assessing the feasibility of writing a dedicated tutorial
on that. However, for most users of QGIS in our field, this step-by-step
algorithm turns out to be a rather cumbersome procedure.

    I have to confess I have no programming skills (at all) for
implementing an FFT conv pluging in QGIS. If anyone in the developer world
would be interested in this issue and its potential applications, I would
be happy of cooperating. I am sure there is a large user community that
would take advantage of this feature. For more info about the underlying
methods you may want to have a look to  https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.02891

    All the best,
    salva bará

--
Salva Bará

Barrio de San Pedro, Compostela, GALIZA (European Union)

Esta mensaxe foi enviada utilizando electróns e fotóns 100% reciclados
This message has been sent using 100% recycled electrons and photons