[QGIS-Developer] Not seeing geometry name in browser for gpkg (gdal issue?)

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:24:37 PST 2021

On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 at 20:10, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> Opening a Geopackage node in the browser (OR looking at the 'attributes' tab in the layer props), you can indeed see all attributes and types...
>
> But I miss the name/ype of the geometry column...
>
> When I open the same dataset in a Postgis node, the 'geom' column is shown in the attribute table (WITH it's type).
>
> Off course for older formats like shapefiles, the geom columns did not have a name...
> Mmm, now I see that ogrinfo also does not show it (for gpkg's..).
>
> BUT: the Info tab in DB Manager DOES show it...
>
> Especially for gpkg where you can work with (spatial) queries, knowing the name is helpful.
>
> Or is it not there because of some technical issue?

It's probably because geopackage has a built in limitation of a single
geometry column only, as opposed to postgis/spatialite etc which can
expose multiple geometry columns.

> > Is this something easily added for gpkg?

Probably it's been deliberately removed because of the above reason
and it's just a matter of removing/disabling the expection which is in
place for gpkg...

Nyall