[QGIS-Developer] PyQGIS Cookbook License

Malte Ziebarth ziebarth at gfz-potsdam.de
Fri Jul 2 09:28:54 PDT 2021

Dear all,

first off, thank you all for all the great work that went into QGIS!

I am currently writing a Python plugin that I intend to make publicly
available in the plugin repository. I started developing the plugin by
adapting the examples from the PyQGIS Cookbook, specifically this page:

https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/plugins/plugins.html#writing-a-plugin

Now the problem that I encountered with that is the license of the skeleton
code (i.e. __init__.py and mainPlugin.py). The code does not actually
contain
a license header and the documentation page itself contains only the
very general copyright information

"© Copyright 2002-now, QGIS project. Last updated on Jul 02, 2021 09:02."

with no further licensing information.

I guess that the intention of this part of documentation is for people to
have an easy start developing plugins which can then be contributed back
to the community under GPL license. This is just what I am planning to
do. However, trying to put this into a correct license header is currently
giving me a bit of a headache.

Maybe someone here in this mailing list has some advice about this issue,
and maybe even the person/people who wrote this piece of code can clarify?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards
Malte Ziebarth

--
Malte J. Ziebarth
Section 2.6
E-Mail: ziebarth at gfz-potsdam.de

Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam
Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum GFZ
Stiftung des öff. Rechts Land Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg, 14473 Potsdam