[QGIS-Developer] QGIS API - recent changes to QgsSettings

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 07:43:08 PDT 2021

Hi all

I see that settings management in QGIS seems to be changing for the
upcoming 3.20 release. I got this clue when consulting the online API docs
for master and then realizing there is no QgsSettings class in there
anymore.
I then searched the commit history on github and found some commits dating
from April, which I guess are relevant here:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commits?after=415d4831b05cb3821ccbefe0b67307035bc0fb75+34&author=domi4484

Is there some place where I can read about these changes in order to gain
some more context on them?

I'm interested in knowing how I can support both QGIS LTR and the upcoming
3.20 on plugins. Is QgsSettings gone forever from 3.20 on or is this going
to be backwards compatible for a while? If not, what is going to be the new
approach for settings management?

Thanks in advance