[QGIS-Developer] QGIS standalone script examples (and Oracle)

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Jun 1 09:26:02 PDT 2021

On 6/1/21 4:12 PM, Paul Wittle wrote:
> You mentioned you'd explicitly set the Oracle paths in something you did previously...is there an Oracle setting that should be set if running QGIS standalone?

QGIS uses the Oracle OCI library to connect to an Oracle Database.

When you install QGIS on Linux you have to add/compile this separately and then compile Linux WITH oracle support.
To be able to use QGIS then you should make sure that you have the Oracle lib in your 'library path'.
AND so if you run a standalone script, it should also be available.

The Windows installers though... (for what I know) already contain the driver (if you use the osgeo4w installer you can check Oracle-Provider/driver separately). Anyway: IF you are on Windows, and use QGIS AND you can view Oracle layers, then you should be good to go: there will be some oracle dll on you system...
On startup of QGIS on Windows, all kind of paths are set, but you should find out from the bat files in the install what those are.

Also: IF you can run the script within QGIS itself (in console) (and not outside) it could be a sign that your script cannot find the oracle libs...  Go through the bat files then to see what paths are set.
BUT all this is guessing, I cannot check this myself...

Regards,

Richard