[QGIS-Developer] Offset lines via qgis python

Prem Kumar prem.netgis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 01:01:28 PDT 2021

Hi Team,

Just wondering if there is a python api which gets an offset line or
parallel line (to both left and right sides) to a given line geometry in
Qgis Python. I know there exists a processing tool called Offsetlines
<https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/qgis/vectorgeometry.html#offset-lines>
but
need this similar functionality at geometry object level so that I can
create offset lines only when needed based on my logic.

The only way now is that I can perform the Offset lines on the entire layer
and then access the offset geometry if needed.

On other hand, shapely has parallel_offset
<https://shapely.readthedocs.io/en/stable/manual.html#object.parallel_offset>
but
this needs conversion from shapely geometry to qgisgeometry.

Just looking for thoughts on this to optimize heavy geometry operations.
Appreciate your help.

-Prem