[QGIS-Developer] #qgis on Freenode

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jun 9 06:41:43 PDT 2021

techdude1996 <techrules08041 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I don't mean to be rude, but can we please move to the 21st century? (As I'm
> responding to a mailing list) IRC very dated and lacks a lot.

If you don't mean to be rude, then perhaps it would be good to address
things a little more evenhandedly, rather than using terms like 21st
century with an implicit claim that all older things are bad.

FWIW, I see IRC as entirely functional with lots of clients, for public
non-structured chat.

> There's an Unofficial QGIS Discord server  Discord Invite Link
> <https://discord.gg/KArRdE3Hm6>   (Currently, it's small due to lack of
> publicity) that could be more official, or an official one could be created.
> Rocket Chat <http://rocket.chat>   is a FOSS, self-hostable option if you
> don't want to use Discord.

I think Free Software projects should decline to use proprietary
interaction platforms.

My impression is that people who both don't like IRC and care about Free
Software are tending to move to matrix, which is reasonably easily self
hostable.