[QGIS-Developer] Best Qgis python plot library

Benjamin Jakimow benjamin.jakimow at geo.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 11 14:39:28 PDT 2021

Hi Jorge,

to my experience PyQtGraph might fit your needs best.
It is fast, it's easy to realize interactions between GUI and Backend
(in both directions!) and it uses many
concepts that are commin in the Qt/PyQt world. You can easily deliver it
as subpackage of your own project (~2.5 MB, MIT/X11 license) [1]

I recently started to use plotly too, but not for GUI programming. Nice
to use as well, better default styles and much better documented than
PyQtGraph.
Otherwise it's probably harder to be used in a GUI and to realize GUI
<-> Backend interactions, e.g. if you want to update your plot fast or
react on mouse clicks (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd love to see QtCharts [3] as part of QGIS distributions, as it is
probably closest to common Qt paradigms like Model/View programming.

Greetings,

Benjamin

[1]
https://pyqtgraph.readthedocs.io/en/latest/how_to_use.html#embedding-pyqtgraph-as-a-sub-package-of-a-larger-project

[2] https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtcharts-overview.html

[3] https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtcharts-overview.html

On 2021-06-10 22:49, jorgealmerio at yahoo.com.br wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to create o plot chart as a widget in my plugin. I already used
> MatPlotLib in the past, but I don't know it is the best choice.
>
> I know some plugins use PyQtGraph and others PyQwt (I think it was
> deceased for Qt5)
>
> Some features I consider relevant:
>
> 1) Works native in Qgis enviroment, no need to install anything.
>
> 2) Fast
>
> 3) Easy to code
>
> 4) Will not be discontinued in the near future
>
> What is the library best option?
>
> Thanks in advance

Benjamin Jakimow, Doctoral Researcher
Earth Observation Lab | Geography Department | Humboldt-Universität zu
Berlin

e-mail: benjamin.jakimow at geo.hu-berlin.de

phone:  +49 (0) 30 2093 6894
mobile: +49 (0) 157 5656 8477
fax:    +49 (0) 30 2093 6848
mail:   Unter den Linden 6 | 10099 Berlin | Germany
room: 2'222