[QGIS-Developer] release process and merging policy

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Jun 18 09:04:17 PDT 2021

Hi Denis,

On Fri, 18. Jun 2021 at 14:12:44 +0200, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> Is there a place where it's explained how the release process works with
> respect to the master branch and the creation of the new release branch?

I don't think so.  The release itself is done with scripts/release.pl.

> My practical questions are:
> * when shall we stop merging bugfixes ? or can we continue merging without
>   issues? (IIRC I think we have to hold for a bit?)

Merging stuff to master between the release time and the push of the release
commits/branches would be bad (esp. the translations take a while to pull and
push).

Committing new fixes to the fresh release branch could also be postponed a bit
before the packages are out - in case there have to be some packaging related
updates for stuff that pops up during packaging.  Otherwise those fresh fixes
would also end up in the packages.  Although that would not be actual harm -
probably right the opposite - but maybe unexpected.

Committing to the master branch right after the release is fine however.

> * when can we start merging features to master again? (as soon as the new
>   release-3_x branch is created?)

Yes.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode