[QGIS-Developer] PYQGIS - Numpy array to QgsRasterLayer without writing to file first

Eric Younkin - NOAA Federal eric.g.younkin at noaa.gov
Wed Mar 3 06:15:35 PST 2021

Hi Benjamin,

This does appear to work, I am now able to use vsimem file handlers with
gdal rasters to go from numpy arrays to qgis raster layers effectively.
Very exciting, thanks for this tip!  I had another QGIS dev question, but I
will start a new thread for that.

For anyone else, this is all that I did:

dataset = gdal_driver.Create('/vsimem/imagetst.tif', cols, rows, no_bands,
gdal.GDT_Float32, creation_options)
...write array to band, set geotransform, etc....

rlayer = QgsRasterLayer('/vsimem/imagetst.tif', 'imagetst', 'gdal')

Thanks again,
Eric