[QGIS-Developer] point in polygon strikes again: big performance issue

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 16:40:11 PDT 2021

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 09:34, Jorge Gustavo Rocha <jgr at di.uminho.pt> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for replication this issue. "Join attributes by location
> (summary)" is definitely the best choice for this use case. It creates
> the new layer in a few seconds. That's why I think we are missing
> something (spatial indexes?, dependency graph?) in the expression engine.

Actually there's LOTS missing
- if you're not using the overlay_* method, then spatial indices won't
be used at all
- even if you use the overlay_* methods, the overlay tests are not
optimised in any way (they don't use prepared geometries), so will
always be orders of magnitude slower than the processing tools.

Nyall