[QGIS-Developer] Update local branch with upstream from within github website

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 03:38:54 PDT 2021

Hi all,

During the last QGIS Open Day, Rosa made a talk about how she became a docs
contributor (if you did not see it, worth a watch [0]). One point raised by
some attendees is the not-so-obvious way for beginners to have their
branches (mainly master) aligned with the upstream repo. Actually a general
issue with github web interface.

I stumbled upon the "Fork Sync With Upstream" [1] github action few days
ago and implemented the workflow in my fork [2]. Having no git tool on the
main machines I work with, it's something I began to use and I see this as
an easy opportunity to quickly be inline with upstream and contribute
directly from within github website (and avoid those patch-xxx branches).
Some runs at [3](*).

Could this be of a greater interest, and something to set up in our repo
(don't know how and I'm not a github actions guru)?

(*) it works well on my qgis docs repo [4]. For the code repo, it works
nicely with release-* but fails on master due to some workflows permission.
I also would like to run "pull --rebase" but no success, yet. Any help
would be more than welcome. Thanks.

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckrAg6azip8
[1] https://github.com/marketplace/actions/fork-sync-with-upstream
[2] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/compare/master...DelazJ:main2