[QGIS-Developer] URGENT AS CAN BE: QGIS 3.16.12 and sip 6?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Nov 5 05:24:36 PDT 2021

Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> writes:

> Mmm... I really don't think that works for end users though. Someone
> who has installed qgis 3.16.12 from last week's installer has no way
> of telling that they'll be affected by the bug vs someone who only
> just downloaded the installer. There's no way we can put out any
> announcement and say "check the about screen and if your version says
> .... then you need to update".

I'm not trying to suggest that the plan be changed.

The problem here is that what's being released by these binary
installers is a packaging system, not the source and in general
packaging systems need another place to put a version they can increment
when there is a change to the packaging configuration (included patches,
build options, etc.).

I suspect that because this is "qgis binary release" it isn't being
viewed as a packagaging system.

As an example, in pkgsrc had we backported a patch for wip, and we ha

  qgis-3.16.12

and then if we fixed  that we'd have

  qgis-3.16.12nb1

which says that it is a packaging change but the same upstream tarball.

As I understand things Debian etc. does the same thing (but the version
numbers look different, I think "-N" suffix).