[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS LTR releases -- is it time to pull the plug?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:59:51 PST 2021

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 at 21:00, Bo Victor Thomsen
<bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Whatever that's decided regarding the LTR, I personally still will be a staunch supporter of QGIS. But please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater without due consideration and without trying alternative solutions.

Just to clarify: my personal view is also that the LTR is extremely
important for QGIS, especially for enterprise deployments of QGIS. I'd
hate to see it go! I also realise that providing the LTR comes with an
implicit promise of stability... every regression in the LTR hurts our
users, and a release-breaking bug this late in the LTR cycle is a
clear indication that something is wrong and we need to fix our
processes.

In short, I'm personally hoping that the conversation stays
constructive and that the outcome is a better-supported, more
trustworthy LTR release. (Again, my personal view is that we won't be
able to achieve this without a funding drive to start paying the
packagers/maintainers/QA teams to ensure that LTR releases aren't just
a "side thing" for them, but something which is always prioritised and
financially justified!)

Nyall