[QGIS-Developer] Changelog Time for 3.22

Charles Dixon-Paver charles at kartoza.com
Mon Oct 4 08:43:09 PDT 2021

Hi, and thanks for raising this Frank.

I've noticed a bunch of the entries have just been tagged with a category
rather than undergoing a full edit from the PR text, which we need to try
to make more "user friendly" and less "developer-centric". The technical
details of each PR are still available on github and I think the changelog
targets a different audience.

We have set up a list of expected conventions for entries here:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki/Changelog-Workflows#conventions-for-changelog-entries

Feel free to contribute changes there as well.

Whilst I think the contextual and writing style stuff is not of critical
concern, there are a couple major red flags we need to try eliminate before
publication, including:

   - Headers - The records should not contain any headers (in HTMl or
   markdown) in the content section as this interferes with the ToC generated
   in the Visual Changelog. This is critical because I think the PR template
   or convention includes a description header etc.
   - Tags - Some PRs use [tag-id]Title syntax to try and automatically tag
   pull requests, which need to be removed
   - PRs and Links - There are commonly a bunch of references
   - List and content formatting - Sometimes pushing from git does not end
   up with nicely rendered markdown, so we should try and fix it
   - Entry title - Often a developer will write a sentence for describing
   the functionality, which is certainly helpful for the review process. For
   changelogs we can move this to the description and use a simple 3 - 8 word
   (there's no real rule) title so that it's rendered nicely and without too
   much wrapping in the ToC
   - Extraneous details - I think it's better to be concise and we can
   remove some content from a lot of the entries. Many PRs justify what, why,
   and how some functionality was developed and introduced, whereas for the
   changelog we just need to know what it does.

I would ask that contributors rather refrain from simply tagging entries
until they have gone through some form of editing, as it makes it difficult
to track what has been reviewed fully and what has not - I prefer to work
through the entries methodically and if need be I am happy run through all
the entries and simply tag them before the final release date. Certainly
review the entries available in the general section, and feel free to edit
them if you would like, but don't move them into a category until they're
"publishing-ready". Also, anybody can feel free to ping me if they see a
feature missing!

Regards