[QGIS-Developer] Build / install issues

Colin Sare-Soar colin.saresoar at terrashape.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 19:41:09 PDT 2021

I originally posted this as a bug on Github but was told it was better posted here.

Although it isn't qgis itself, it is the build system.
When I enter the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX as ${HOME}/apps as suggested, the install fails as unable to create directory
"/apps//apps/man/man1 - maybe need admin privileges"
I have no idea where it gets this spurious path from. I checked the cmake_install_cmake file and that was even stranger.
The entry was "${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} ${HOME}/apps/man/man.1" - obviously wrong!
I entered "~/apps" in the ninja config script and that expanded correctly to give "/home/colins2/apps".
running 'ninja install' then correctly built and installed qgis.
I don't think it is my system (Mint 20.1) because when I entered the line
"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:${HOME}/apps/lib/" they expanded correctly. it must be something in the script generator that causes the error. It happens both with ninja and the cmake scripts.

Maybe it is only Mint but worth a comment somewhere maybe.
Colin