[QGIS-Developer] applying an SLD to a WMS layer

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Tue Oct 26 05:21:05 PDT 2021

Hi René,

I'm just asking questions to fully understand the use case. Thank you
for your feedback. You mentioned an interesting point.

As you mentioned, the solution can be based on the server side if the
map server accepts an SLD.

This approach can not be used against WMS services working behind
caches/tiling services providing only predefined styles.

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

On 26/10/21 12:43, René-Luc Dhont wrote:
> Hi Jorge,
>
> WMS Server can process SLD  provide in a GetMap Request.
> QGIS Server is able to apply an SLD to a layer and provide the resulting
> image. The SLD can be provided through the SLD_BODY parameter or the
> SLD parameter for linked file.
> https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/server_manual/services.html#qgisserver-wms-getmap
> This capability is mainly exploited by web clients
>
> René-Luc
>
> Le 26/10/2021 à 12:26, Jorge Gustavo Rocha a écrit :
>> Hi Kurt,
>>
>> By design, WMS GetMap requests returns images. Those are rendered on
>> the server side, by the map server. Many services just provide those
>> rendered images.
>>
>> Are you trying to provide advanced image processing capabilities on
>> the client side to apply an SLD on top those images?
>>
>> Or would you like to try other GetMap formats, more friendly to
>> process on the client side? Like svg or kml? Some of these formats are
>> available as vendor options of the map server.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jorge Gustavo
>>

>> On 26/10/21 10:58, Kurt Menke wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> We have been developing web apps that allow the user to download the
>>> selected extent and data layers as a QGIS project file. Many of the
>>> layers are hosted by the government as WMS services. We are wondering
>>> if anyone has looked into the possibility of applying an SLD style to
>>> a WMS layer in QGIS. We were hoping to be able to edit the *.qgs file
>>> programmatically. We would be interested in sponsoring the effort
>>> depending on the level of effort required, assuming it is even possible.
>>> Best,
>>> Kurt
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Kurt Menke