[QGIS-Developer] Plugin Developers Who Don't Want to Add Capabilities - Go2NextFeature

Johannes Kröger johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
Thu Sep 16 00:32:47 PDT 2021

Hi Calvin,

Looking at the list of issues I do not see any behaviour from the
maintainer that shows a necessity for a fork. And there is just one user
who asked for a snapshop feature, in two separate issues, one not even
with a title.

Have you tried making a full description of the new feature and how it
will integrate nicely and why the feature fits the scope of the project,
followed by a well tested pull request with the new feature?

There are some unanswered merge requests but no visible repeated
attempts to get the maintainer's attention. I'd try that first.

Making snapshops of the canvas sounds like a feature that has little to
do with iterating through features. Maybe you are best served with
another tiny plugin that does just that?

Cheers, Hannes

Am 15.09.21 um 14:47 schrieb C Hamilton:
> I am faced with somewhat of a delima. This QGIS plugin is used by some
> of our analysts.
>
> https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/Go2NextFeature3/
> <https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/Go2NextFeature3/>
>
> Those analysts would like some additional features including automatic
> snapshoting of the canvas and saving it as an image for each feature.
> Something like this has been asked for by other users of the plugin
> over 2 years ago. See the issues.
>
> https://gitlab.com/albertodeluca/go2nextfeature/-/analytics/issues_analytics
> <https://gitlab.com/albertodeluca/go2nextfeature/-/analytics/issues_analytics>
>
> In the comments of "Future of Plugin" the developers have made it
> clear that they want to keep the plugin simple. Probably because of
> this policy I see that someone else created a Go2NextFeaturePlus
> geared for OSM work and it is labeled as experimental.
>
> I don't like replicating capability, but given that a plugin developer
> is unwilling to make any significant changes, how do you feel about
> another similar plugin be developed that has the additional capability
> that we need. I am not sure how to handle this situation. I don't
> think it would take much time to create a new plugin to do this with
> the expanded capabilities.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Calvin

Johannes Kröger / GIS-Entwickler/-Berater
WhereGroup GmbH
Eifelstraße 7
53119 Bonn
Germany

Fon: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 36
Fax: +49 (0)228 / 90 90 38 - 11

johannes.kroeger at wheregroup.com
www.wheregroup.com
Geschäftsführer:
Olaf Knopp, Peter Stamm
Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 9885

Schon gewusst?
In unserem Blog geben wir Tipps & Tricks zu
Open-Source-GIS-Software und berichten aus unserem Experten-Alltag:
https://wheregroup.com/blog/