[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Developer support channels

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Sep 20 22:55:55 PDT 2021

On 9/20/21 10:45 AM, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 18:42, Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nyall,
>>
>> On Mon, 20. Sep 2021 at 16:35:57 +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>>> On this note, I would also love to see some form of contributor-focused text
>>> chat room for QGIS contributors. While there's plenty of chat rooms around
>>> for QGIS users, these tend to attract toward "how do I do this in QGIS"
>>> questions.
>>
>> The IRC channel #qgis still exists.  It used to be that.  Before it was
>> "replaced" by several "better" alternatives - none of which ever really took
>> off, but it fragmented and destroyed #qgis.  Not much life left there -
>> although it looks full of people (most gated from Matrix).
>
> That's a good point. I'd honestly prefer some channel which is
> somewhat gated however, just to weed out the end-user support
> questions. From my experience the irc channel (and matrix and its
> linked channels) did get quite of lot of these "can anyone help me
> with my data?... hello?.... anyone?.... *disconnects*" activity :P

I would be ok with both IRC, but I think a #qgis-dev channel on either matrix.org or matrix.osgeo.org would do.

There are proper matrix clients for web and phones ( even for Linux phones ;-) ).

And we could create a invite only group, setting the bar to say 1 accepted Pull (whatever qgis repo) Request or so?
Then we could invite recent github committers, and also tell everybody via the dev list to apply for the invite (and show a link to an accepted PR)? This makes it not a 'friends'-only list, but a little more objective?

Groet,

Richard