[QGIS-Developer] New QGIS Plugin Proposal - QGIS utilities

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 07:46:26 PDT 2022

We have developed a few algorithms to work with multiple layers and I am
thinking of putting them into one plugin so I want to check with the
community to make sure these are not already being planned for the core
QGIS. Some of these include the ability to apply a filter or style on all
selected layers as well as the ability to set a random and graduated style
from a processing algorithm. Here is what I currently have.

   1. Apply a filter to all selected layers and groups of layers.
   2. Apply a style either as a .qml file or the contents on the clipboard
   to all selected layers and groups of layers.
   3. Processing toolbox algorithm to set the style to random using some
   named attribute. Of course this may give spurious results if you have
   different layer types selected, but it is for the user to select the
   correct layers to apply the style to.
   4. Processing toolbox algorithm to apply a graduated heatmap type style
   to a layer.
   5. Non processing algorithm to use a random style for all selected
   layers and selected groups. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see a way
   to interface with iface in a processing algorithm so I don't see a way to
   iterate through selected layers with a processing algorithm. Is that
   correct?
   6. Non processing algorithm to apply a graduated heatmap style to all
   selected layers and selected groups.

Roland recently asked for the ability to change opacity and stroke style to
all selected layers. This could also be added. As there becomes other
needed utilities I would add them.

Most of this I already have in a personal plugin so I would just polish it
up a bit. What are your thoughts and any suggestions for a plugin name?

Thanks,

Calvin