[QGIS-Developer] createvectorTable error: Could not retrieve driver for connection

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 15:53:42 PST 2022

On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 at 23:05, Richard Duivenvoorde via QGIS-Developer
<qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Ok, I think I found the crux!
>
> With your code QGIS 3.26 will CREATE a new geopackage... (if it is not there yet)
> After which QGIS master is fine
>
> BUT QGIS master apparently does NOT create a new geopackage with your code...
> So IF there is an excisting test.gpkg, all is fine
> IF there is not one, it depends on you QGIS version if it creates a fresh one or not?
>
> Maybe some core dev can say something about this?

I'd say the old behaviour was an unintentional bug, and that
createConnection should only be used with a path that already exists.

For 3.28 and later you can create empty databases using
QgsProviderMetadata.createDatabase(uri), eg:

QgsProviderRegistry.instance().providerMetadata('ogr').createDatabase('/path/to/data.gpkg')

After that you can create a connection to the db using createConnection safely.

Nyall