[QGIS-Developer] Adding a custom projection to QGIS

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Dec 30 05:03:50 PST 2022

Jennifer Johnston via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>
writes:

> I've been working on a custom projection with Duncan Cameron and
> I'm wanting to add it to QGIS.  Is this something that I could do
> myself?  If so what specifications would I need and is there any
> documentation that I could read to help?  I have been told that
> creating a prj file with the parameters would not work.

I would lean to trying to add it to proj, rather than qgis, as you
probably want to use it with gdal too.  But, if it's a new projection,
vs paramaters to an existing projection, that's not trivial.

> Here is a link to an article about the projection https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00087041.2022.2097758

That link doesn't work to read the paper, at least without US$58.   Is
there really no preprint or author website copy?