[QGIS-Developer] Funding and PR review

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Tue Jan 4 03:13:09 PST 2022

Hi Alex,

Happy new year to you as well!

We increased the funding for PR reviews from 10 to 14k.

However, it is up to the reviewers (currently Nyall, Matthias and
Alessandro, in the future probably also Martin) to decide what PRs they are
looking at. I understand that the above figure doesn't guarantee that they
can look at all PRs.

My recommendation for new devs is to personally ask one of the above people
- or another QGIS dev with core commiter rights.

In general, for paid new developments, the developer who offers the new
functionality should factor in the cost of code reviewing in the quote.

For voluntary contributions it may be more difficult. There it probably
depends a lot on the quality of the PR and the willingness of the dev to
respond to the reviewers in a timely manner. And of course - if the PR is
interesting to one of the reviewers, it increases the chance a lot.

I am not sure if a separate crowd funding for PR reviewing would be the way
to go. I would imagine it would be difficult to raise funds specifically
for this goal. I would rather prefer to try to get more "sustaining
members" in general, so we can increase this budget item in upcoming years.

Let's see what other core devs and PSC members think abou this?

Andreas

On Sun, 2 Jan 2022 at 14:24, Alexis R.L. <alroyliz0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Everyone,
>
> Some points have been going through my head and I was curious to know if
> there could be good ideas in them for discussion and opportunities.
>
> One aspect that can irk new and existing contributors (or maybe just
> myself) is when it comes to PR reviews. As some work on either side is done
> on a voluntary basis we can't expect competent and overworked devs to want
> and to dedicate more time on some work that won't benefit them.
>
> On the other hand we also get pr that get stuck or staled out.
>
> Now I was thinking of creating a crowdfund to raise some funds for reviews
> ( I don't want to profit monetarily from any of my work). But I don't want
> to be stuck managing funds and doing PR and etc.
>
> Now I know that QGIS has some devoted funds for bugfixing and PR reviews
> to this effect. But I was curious to know if it would be a good idea to
> advertise the work (possibly in the news feed?) that would benefit from
> bugfixing or PR reviews.
>
> I'm not sure if dividing things and separating funds on a issue or
> category (bugfix vs feature vs ?) would be beneficial. But showcasing what
> they can gain from doing a contribution would probably be helpful rather
> than giving for general support.
>
> Just my two cents, I also wish everyone a good new year of developping!
>
> Alex

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)