[QGIS-Developer] Donations

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jan 24 13:40:52 PST 2022

Hi Cory,

There is nothing wrong with your feature or bug request (whatever it is
;-) ) - there is certainly value for it!

But there is a point in the temporal controller in presentation-only
mode. It covers probably >90% of the use cases - as most many users
don't edit temporal data, but analyze and present it.

With the same argument you could say - what is the point of having point
cloud data in QGIS if you can't edit the point cloud data? Or many other
new features we have in QGIS - that have a value even in cases where a
new functionality isn't fully implemented in all details.

Andreas

On 2022-01-24 21:10, Cory Albrecht wrote:

>> Honestly, whether this is a bug or a feature request is debatable, I
>> personally think that it is a bug because a user would not expect that
>> a basic software action like editing gets broken when the temporal
>> controller is active: we should either disable editing in that case or
>> make editing work with the controller.
>
> That was my thought, too. Also, what is the point of having a
> presentation-only tool for temporal data in QGIS if you cannot
> practically or effectively edit that temporal data in QGIS as well?
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 10:38 AM Alessandro Pasotti
> <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Honestly, whether this is a bug or a feature request is debatable, I
> personally think that it is a bug because a user would not expect that
> a basic software action like editing gets broken when the temporal
> controller is active: we should either disable editing in that case or
> make editing work with the controller.
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to underline that if this is to be considered a
> feature request it wouldn't be eligible for a grant (that explicitly
> forbids new features).
>
> Kind regards.
>
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 4:28 PM Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Cory,
>
> Yes - I would also think that this is not a bug, but a feature request.
> It was never claimed that the temporal controller works fine in
> conjunction with editing tools. The temporal controller was designed as
> a presentation tool and not for editing.
>
> To improve the situation you would have to consult with one of the core
> contributor companies listed at
> https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/commercial_support.html
>
> You could write a specification, ask one of the core contributor
> companies for a quote and finance it yourself. Or you could try to
> write a QEP (QGIS enhancement proposal) and submit it as a QGIS grant
> project. Incidentally, Anita just issued the "Call for participation
> [1]" for the 2022 QGIS grants. If you could find a company that is
> interested in working on this, and team up with them to write a QEP, it
> could be submitted as a QGIS grant. The deadline for the QGIS grants is
> February 13.
>
> This would definitely be more work than what could be covered by
> smaller donations.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 01:21, Cory Albrecht <maps at hanfastolfe.com>
> wrote:
>
> I filed a number of bugs a year ago about various digitising tools that
> no longer worked correctly as a result of the newly implemented Dynamic
> Temporal Controller. Things like the vertex tool and the snapping tool
> that continue to react to invisible features outside of temporal scope
> making it difficult, if not impossible to use those tools with temporal
> data.

> [...]

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net [3] ItOpen:   www.itopen.it [4]

Links: