[QGIS-Developer] Digitize shapes in advanced digitizing toolbar concerns/suggestions

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 04:15:34 PDT 2022

Hi,

I came across the "recent" change that integrates the options to select to
digitize with segments, curves, shapes, or streaming into a combobox
button. I love it. It makes sense. Thanks, Denis for it.

Nevertheless, the shapes option is dependent on another toolbar (Shape
Digitizing Toolbar), which had led to some bugs [0] but also to some
frustration to some users, not understanding why a strange message appear
when they just want to draw a polygon.

I opened a PR to change the wording of the message that informs the user
that if he decided to digitize using shapes, then he also needs to select
the shape he wants to use [1], but he might not even remember that the last
time he used it, he selected to digitize using shapes.

My suggestions:

1. On QGIS reload, always rollback to "digitize with segment" as default
2. On selecting shapes, automatically enable the Shape Digitizing Toolbar
3. On selecting shapes, automatically enable one of the options in the
shape digiting toolbar, to solve [0], even if the user never used it before.

I can open a feature request if more people agree.

Best regards,

Alexandre Neto
[0] - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/47648
[1] - https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/49425