[QGIS-Developer] Merge tool always creating a new feature id instead of preserving the existing one

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Mar 1 00:43:19 PST 2022

Hi,

We have a problem with the merge tool.

We have a relatively complex data model with lots of relations. We want
to use the merge tool with this data.

The merge tool allows to carefully choose which attributes should end up
in the merged feature. This works fine, except for the feature ID.

QGIS stubbornly insists on having to create a new feature ID after the
merge - and is not reusing the feature ID of the original feature we
selected as the "master" feature in the merge tool.

This is a huge problem - because after the merge we loose all relations,
because the feature ID has changed.

Do you know any work around? Would we be able to fix this behaviour in a
future QGIS release?

Thanks for the discussion,

Andreas