[QGIS-Developer] Temporal Controller: Select current visible features??

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Mar 21 06:40:54 PDT 2022

Hi Dev's,

See also: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/47893

I'm trying to find a way to programmatically (only) select the current
visible features in a vector layer which is controlled by the Temporal
Controller.

As 'select by rectangle' in the gui works... I thought to use:

iface.mapCanvas().currentLayer().selectByRect(iface.mapCanvas().currentLayer().extent())

but that selects ALL features (not taking the Temporal Controller into
account).

Anybody aware of a way to do this?
Going to try to get the temporal expression maybe and then select by
expression?

I'm also wondering how we should conceptually view the Temporal
Controller: as a Filter or more as a sort of style/rendering thing.

Depending on that all selection tools should behave in the same way I
think?

Any input appreciated,

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

PS context about why you would like to select the visible features: I'm
thinking about some kind of on the fly voronoi-ing of the point layer,
to have a heatmap-like polygon layer... Same would be needed to actually
create a heatmap (per timestep)...