[QGIS-Developer] Installing pyarrow on QGIS Windows

Pedro Camargo c at margo.co
Thu Nov 3 02:27:39 PDT 2022

Hello,

             I am currently working on a new version of the plugin AequilibraE, and experimenting with a different workflow for adding dependencies and compiled extensions.

As of now, the user is prompted to download binaries into the plugin folder (the software required on compiled extensions for performance) and keeps a few features unavailable until the user installs the extensions by starting QGIS as an administrator and triggering the install.

This is obviously cumbersome and convoluted, so we are experimenting with installing dependencies directly to the user's folder, which is where I found an issue with pyarrow (I've tried the 2 latest versions as of today).

As far as I was able to establish, everything works beautifully up to QGIS version 3.22, but breaks in later versions (the code to reproduce is below).

My question is: Is there something I can do about this?  Does anybody have any clues/suggestions/words of advise?

Cheers,

Pedro

Code to reproduce issue:

import sys

lines = []

command = f"{sys.executable} -m pip install --user pyarrow"

lines.append(command)

with subprocess.Popen(

        command,

        shell=True,