[QGIS-Developer] Documentation repository looking for developers

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Nov 7 00:50:23 PST 2022

Hi Harrisou

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 6:40 AM Delaz J <delazj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks for replying. I appreciate.
>
> OK, if no one steps up meanwhile, let's see how we can collaborate with
> the new recruit. But I feel that, at the beginning, he will be more skilled
> for general coding matters ("Code/Setup" section) than QGIS specific issues
> as reported in sections "Writing" and "Triage". No?

Yes their help would be in the context of section #1 in your list. I do
know that Anita has been looking at how to use QGIS funds to get you more
support which hopefully provides some mechanism to address some of your
other items.

How about you come and join the PSC call tomorrow evening - we regularly
discuss how we can help you and the docs team, but it might be more useful
if you are actually in the conversation!

Regards

Tim

> [...]
>> to share with you a few cool features the documentation repo will also be
>> really happy to get from your skills.
>>
>> *Code/Setup*
>>
>> 1. Create a github action to automatically assign labels to issue reports
>> generated from merged pull requests in code repo, to help us quickly
>> triage. See #50562 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/50562> and #7826
>> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7826>
>>
>> 2. To the generated issue reports, we also have to assign the milestone,
>> that is the next LTR we will document it in... An automatic assignment
>> would also be great. See #7828
>> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7828>
>>
>> 3. If the move away from Transifex is not yet on the radar, a github
>> action to regularly pull unfinished translation files would be welcome. See
>> #7827 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7827>
>>
>> 4. Help setup the release branches to allow automatic merge when tests
>> pass. See #7837 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7837>
>>
>> 5. Fix text frame width in the pyQGIS API documentation. See #36
>> <https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis/issues/36>
>>
>> *Writing*
>>
>> If you instead feel like writing , there are some outdated, confusing
>> instructions in the docs for beginners in coding:
>>
>> 1. how to configure python path
>> <https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/intro.html>
>> from within QGIS or custom application: See #6179
>> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/6179> and attempts to
>> fix it at #6306 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/6306>,
>> #7139 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/7139> and #7140
>> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/7140>
>>
>> 2. methods and tools to debug code/plugins: see #7836
>> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7836>
>>
>> 3. as usual, review of current pull requests
>> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pulls> is still welcome
>>
>> *Triage*
>>
>> If you don't feel like coding nor writing, you can just tell us whether
>> you think that any of these reports is worth documenting and how we could
>> address it: ToDocOrNotToDoc
>> <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AToDocOrNotToDoc%3F>
>>
>> As you can see, the needs are diverse; it is about coding, setup,
>> triaging and writing so you probably will find something for you (I hope)
>> and do it faster than in my unsuccessful attempts.
>> *The docs needs the devs*.
>>
>> Kind regards and looking forward,
>> Harrissou

> Tim Sutton
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>  * Desktop GIS programming services
>  * Geospatial web development
> * GIS Training
> * Consulting Services
> Tim is a member of the QGIS Project Steering Committee

Tim Sutton