[QGIS-Developer] Long filename/filepath causing git issues

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Nov 24 17:31:36 PST 2022

"Alexis R.L. via QGIS-Developer" <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>
writes:

> I'm not sure it warranted a bug report but some control image now have
> names that are frankly too long and are causing issues in git if the local
> report folder is located some level down.
>
> Would it be too crazy to shrink down some offending name to prevent error
> when switching to more recent branches? I can submit a PR if needed.
>
> Here's one of the error I got
> 'tests/testdata/control_images/labelingengine/expected_label_curved_line_allow_upside_down_hint_reversed_right_positive_offset/expected_label_curved_line_allow_upside_down_hint_reversed_right_positive_offset.png':
> Filename too long

I am not objecting to shrinking, and don't really have standing to, but
can you explain the platform and what you think is going on?

That filename is 210 bytes long, which doesn't seem that big.  Do you
know what limit is being hit, in which program or the OS kernel, and
what properties the file name needs to have to avoid the problems?

I just checked on the box I am reading mail on (NetBSD), and it looks
like PATH_MAX is 1024 bytes.  That actually seems like a low limit these
days.   I am unclear on what the values are on other systems, only that
I have ~never run into this.