[QGIS-Developer] Documentation repository looking for developers

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 02:07:36 PDT 2022

Hi dear devs,

With feature freeze/bug fixes period almost finished, and before you get
busy with pushing cool and nice features for the next 3.30 branch, I'd like
to share with you a few cool features the documentation repo will also be
really happy to get from your skills.

*Code/Setup*

1. Create a github action to automatically assign labels to issue reports
generated from merged pull requests in code repo, to help us quickly
triage. See #50562 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/50562> and #7826
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7826>

2. To the generated issue reports, we also have to assign the milestone,
that is the next LTR we will document it in... An automatic assignment
would also be great. See #7828
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7828>

3. If the move away from Transifex is not yet on the radar, a github action
to regularly pull unfinished translation files would be welcome. See #7827
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7827>

4. Help setup the release branches to allow automatic merge when tests
pass. See #7837 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7837>

5. Fix text frame width in the pyQGIS API documentation. See #36
<https://github.com/qgis/pyqgis/issues/36>

*Writing*

If you instead feel like writing , there are some outdated, confusing
instructions in the docs for beginners in coding:

1. how to configure python path
<https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/intro.html>
from within QGIS or custom application: See #6179
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/6179> and attempts to
fix it at #6306 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/6306>,
#7139 <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/7139> and #7140
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/7140>

2. methods and tools to debug code/plugins: see #7836
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/7836>

3. as usual, review of current pull requests
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pulls> is still welcome

*Triage*

If you don't feel like coding nor writing, you can just tell us whether you
think that any of these reports is worth documenting and how we could
address it: ToDocOrNotToDoc
<https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3AToDocOrNotToDoc%3F>

As you can see, the needs are diverse; it is about coding, setup, triaging
and writing so you probably will find something for you (I hope) and do it
faster than in my unsuccessful attempts.
*The docs needs the devs*.

Kind regards and looking forward,
Harrissou