[QGIS-Developer] Could the H3 library be included as a core QGIS library

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Sep 1 04:34:09 PDT 2022

C Hamilton via QGIS-Developer <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> A few months ago I was introduced to the H3 (Hexagonal hierarchical
> geospatial indexing system) library (https://h3geo.org/) and as a part of
> testing it to see its capabilities I included it in my Density Analysis
> plugin. The library is blazing fast in creating a hex grid and in doing a
> geohash of coordinates if you are doing a vector based heatmap like I
> have done in the Density Analysis plugin. I think it would be an asset to
> have it as a core QGIS library. Would there be any interest in including it?

Everything in core has to be built by every qgis package, and becomes a
required dependency, so "it would be useful" is not really the right
test.  It's more "It is so useful to many, on balance, that the overall
benefit outweighs the increase in size, compilation time, build
complexity, and dependency footprint".

I don't really have an opinion on the specifics of this.  It might help
to explain licensing, what the library depends on, build-time and
run-time requirements (anything not already required by qgis), whether
the library has a sane build system, etc.