[QGIS-Developer] Model for Temporal Measurement (vector) Datasets ?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Sep 4 06:44:14 PDT 2022

On 9/4/22 15:27, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> It seems to me this should be possible using:
>
> 1. Two tables:
> - Points
> - Measurements (Timestamp, Measured attribute)
>
> 2.  A view (Points LEFT JOIN Measurements)

What would be the actual result in your case (eg in the case of 2 points with 100 measurements each)?

That would be 2 records/features isn't it? With..., I dont know, the last join?
OR 200 records (which is the actual way QGIS/GIS is handling this?

Note that I'm not talking about storage here.
I'm looking in a way, the temporal controller (or something else) can (separately from the geometries) request the timestamp/value data.
For example: FIRST requests all Locations of Sensors,
Then (based on the status of some (temporal) controller) request a subset of the values/timestamps.

I'm looking into this, because I'm searching for a way to handle massive datasets, in which it is such overkill to again and again sent over the geometries (be it points or polygons)...
Or another use case: I want points on the map, and timestamps/values flying in realtime as they are measured...
Or: you have a giant km grid covering the whole of europe, and data (per hour) for 7 days of data, and you can request (remotely!) the value for every grid cell per 10 minutes (without having to request the geometry every time...)

Regards & all thanks for the input,

Regards,

Richard