[QGIS-Developer] Time for db manager to become an "opt-in" plugin?

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 14:12:53 PDT 2022

This decision makes sense to me, but I still miss an SQL interface – I mean
an SQL-oriented interface for data as GDAL does even for unnecessary cases.
QGIS has a python-first approach but I don't think this should be the only
or the mandatory way to approach GIS data.

Alexandre Neto says:

> I am big QGIS/PostGIS user and DB manager in QGIS allows me to do
> something that you can't do elsewhere, run long spatial analysis using SQL.

while Richard Duivenvoorde replies:

> My de facto client is DBeaver, a cross platform FOSS general Database
> client (written in Java).
> It even has a simple spatial viewer (as: show geometries on OSM, both for
> Postgis and Geopackages) in the data tabs.

 DBeaver is a great tool if you have to move data from one DBMS to another
and has even a simple geometry viewer, but what I think QGIS should provide
is a data-oriented interface, something that could mix procedural tools
that work on the client with dbms resident functions. In reality, if you
deal with data and resort to views based on native Postgis functions, it's
much better to have a good SQL interface in QGIS than simply visualising
geometries in DBeaver. Let alone, as Paolo Cavallini says, using topology.
Nothing against the idea of a better integration that implies an optional
role of the plug-in, but the outcome is an implicit choice for a
traditional client-server approach vs a well-balanced orientation we
enjoyed. I would appreciate a move in the opposite direction, but it's only
a personal preference.