[QGIS-Developer] QGIS and WebAssembly

Nick Bearman nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk
Sun Sep 11 05:09:51 PDT 2022

Hi Martin,

Thanks for sharing this initial version - it's great to see some of the
possibility.

Is this something you would like to / be able to develop? I'd be
interested in exploring the possibility of developing this, and am happy
to put some money in towards this if you (or anyone else) is interested.

Please do let me know your thoughts.

Best wishes,
Nick.

On 3/22/22 12:31, Martin Dobias via QGIS-Developer wrote:
> Hi Andreas!
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 9:49 AM Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>
> wrote:
>

>     Would any part of the current QGIS Desktop part be re-usable in a
>     "web assembly" QGIS? Or would the GUI part have to be re-developed?
>

> In theory, we could try to run QGIS Desktop as it is in WebAssembly
> environment in the browser, Qt generally supports that. There are many
> question marks though, among some I can think of:
> - dealing with files / data sources - this would need many changes to
> accept the fact that we are not dealing with a local file system and
> that access to raw data over network will be generally much slower.
> Also persistence of data - you will probably want to have some server
> backend anyway to store the data.
> - Qt Widgets-based apps can be run on WebAssembly, but I have a
> feeling that the performance would not be great, due to the way how
> the get rendered on screen (all work done on CPU) - I would expect
> that an optimized OpenGL / WebGL based GUI would have much better
> performance in browsers - probably based on Qt Quick module (like
> Input / QField)
>
>     I would also assume that access to local files would be very
>     restricted - right? Network based resources (DB access and web
>     services) would probably work fine?
>
> Indeed, access to local files from browser would not be possible at
> all - data would need to come from the server. Network based resources
> would work fine, but with various limitations - for example, you are
> normally not allowed to request resources from other servers unless
> the servers allow that [1], and you can't directly access services
> like PostgreSQL that are not HTTP servers (although of course this
> could be handled by tunneling through WebSockets, or using HTTP-based
> protocols like Postgrest).
>
> Cheers
> Martin
>
> [1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/CORS

Nick Bearman
+44 (0) 7717745715
nick at geospatialtrainingsolutions.co.uk

Due to my own life/work balance, you may get emails from me outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel any pressure to respond outside of your own working pattern.