[QGIS-Developer] Regular paid positions for PR reviews

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Fri Dec 8 00:22:16 PST 2023

Dear Alex,

I support this idea. Code reviews are important.

But I think we already do that - don't we? In 2023 there was this 14k €
budget that is currently being distributed between the core devs who are
actively reviewing on Github. Next year, we plan to increase this budget to
20k.

Are we missing anything?

I am not sure if it is useful to dedicate an "exact" number of hours and a
fixed rate. I'd rather have a fixed annual budget (like we already have)
and distribute this among the core devs who actively participate in the
reviews and discussions.

We can formalize this a bit better if you want. I am open for suggestions
how to improve the situation.

Another idea is to merge the budgets for bug fixing and code reviewing -
then the "approved" core devs can spend their hours on both bug fixing and
reviewing and invoice everything together.

It is a really good timing to discuss this now - because we want to bring
the 2024 budget to vote next week.

Greetings,
Andreas

On Fri, 8 Dec 2023 at 08:57, Alessandro Pasotti via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I have had the opportunity to discuss with some core QGIS
> developers and we agreed that it would be a good idea if the QGIS
> organization could fund a few weekly or monthly hours for PR reviews.
>
> Here is my quick and initial proposal of requisites for the candidates:
>
> - must be an active well known and long time QGIS C++ core developer
> (for example from the top last 5 years committers [1])
> - ideally we'd need more than a single developer: there is not a
> single developer who is able to review all different areas of the code
> base
> - available for regular work (fixed number of weekly or monthly hours,
> to be determined)
>
> Note: the above list is just my quick ideas, feel free to suggest
> anything you think best.
>
>  I would like this topic to be added to the next PSC meeting agenda.
>
> Kind regards.
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/graphs/contributors?from=2018-12-08&to=2023-12-08&type=c
>
> --