[QGIS-Developer] Report for the QEP Settings Registry follow-up

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 06:51:50 PST 2023

Dear QGIS fellows,

This is a small report for the QEP #245
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/245

After some hard thinking, I have finally found a nice way to register
settings in a hierarchical and organized way, without too much complexity
in the API to actually use the settings.

I have recently submitted a PR https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/51295 with
the proposed approach.
To have a clean approach, some keys have been renamed. There is a
compatibility handling (both forward and backward).

The PR is actually a part of the original QEP (mostly the GUI part is
missing).
The trade of scope reduction towards a cleaner approach for the settings is
valuable to me.
The structured approach will mainly allow for an even cleaner
representation of settings in the advanced editor and a more comprehensive
knowledge of named groups of settings (such as WFS connections, GPS
devices, …).
I commit to start implementing the GUI part during the HF in NL this spring.
The migration of the remaining settings will be done continuously from now
on.

I am glad to have finally found a good approach here. Please let me know if
you have any feedback.

Kind regards,

Denis