[QGIS-Developer] Plugin folder disambiguation

Pedro Camargo c at margo.co
Mon May 1 01:11:08 PDT 2023

Hello people,

I have a little question, stemming from a mistake I made many years ago related to the AequilibraE QGIS plugin.

So.... When I released the plugin, I gave it the exact same name of the Python library (aequilibrae) and went through some pretty tortuous roads to make it all work. Now that we are cleaning everything with proper software dev practices (linting, tests, etc), we renamed the QGIS plugin to qaequilibrae, which disambiguates everything and allows us to have imports for both the plugin and the library.

However, as you all probably know, there is a restriction on changing the name of the folder that holds the plugin (understandable, as we want to avoid conflicts with other plugins).

AequilibraE is garnering a healthy number of users both inside QGIS and for its Python library, and we don't want to do anything to loose momentum. So my question is: What is the best path here?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Pedro