[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Documentation Writer - Report

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Mon Apr 8 05:03:06 PDT 2024

Hi Regis (and others curious about NixOS)

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 2:28 PM Selma Vidimlic via QGIS-Developer <
qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hello Régis,
>
> Thank you for your response and interest in my transition from Windows to
> NixOS. The change is indeed significant, but I didn't do it alone. Tim
> helped me set up the system. The thing is, on my PC where I work every day,
> Windows started causing problems with constant updates, and after one of
> the updates, the system failed to boot. I tried everything I knew (it's not
> the first time this has happened), but it didn't work, so I decided to
> switch to NixOS. As I mentioned, the change is significant, but for now, I
> still have access to a laptop that is still on Windows, so I'm combining
> the two. And Tim is of great help, I wouldn't be able to make this change
> alone.

Yes, I will give Selma all the support she needs :-). For those curious
about NixOS as a desktop / day to day productivity environment, yes you can
100% use it for this. And you don't need to be a guru to use it. Since
April 2022 there is a nice graphical installer (
https://www.phoronix.com/news/NixOS-22.05-Released) and they have probably
one of the largest repositories of packages of any Linux distribution
(around 80k packages), including QGIS and QGIS LTR which are always
current. There are many other popular GIS packages too (see
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/tree/master/pkgs/applications/gis with an
active community that maintains them and more are elsewhere in the package
repo). For novice users, installing a package is no more difficult than the
equivalent in ubuntu:

apt-get install qgis

becomes

nix-env -i qgis

In fact it is easier since you don't need to set up QGIS 3rd party repo
first in NixOS.

A number of our (Kartoza) team who are not linux gurus use NixOS on their
desktops - if you ever watched a QGIS Open Day event, it was orchestrated
by Amy on her NixOS laptop :-P

Have fun!

Regards

Tim

> Selma.
>
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 at 18:09, Régis Haubourg <regis.haubourg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Selma,
>> As usual we are all a bit silent, there is so much to follow. Your work
>> is much appreciated. Keep on this way 👍
>>
>> About transitionning to NixOs, you talk about your computer for
>> everyday's work ?
>> I've never seen NixOs used as a desktop main setup, mainly for getting
>> reproducible environment as an alternative to docker on servers. Let us
>> know how it goes, but maybe the jump from windows to Nix is high ?
>>
>> Le ven. 22 mars 2024, 15:33, Selma Vidimlic via QGIS-Developer <
>> qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Here is the latest report:
>>>
>>>    - Organize table - toggle selection
>>>    <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/8974>
>>>    - Insert/Edit expression button - display properties
>>>    <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/8980>
>>>    - Relation Reference
>>>    <https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/8972>
>>>
>>> Additionally, I was focused on transitioning from WindowsOS to NixOS.
>>>
>>> Next week, I will continue documenting the 3.36 features. After that is
>>> finished, I will move on to the 3.38 features.
>>>
>>> Have a nice weekend,
>>> Selma.

>>> --
>>> Selma Vidimlic Husic